Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cheese and Spinach Casserole


I dug out this recipe today and wanted to post it for posterity (and to make it easier for me to find next time). I found it several years ago on some low-carb website, but I don't eat it because it's low-carb. I eat it 'cause it's just plain good. It's better if you make it the night before you want to serve it and let the flavors meld, but I can't ever wait. I wanted to grate my own nutmeg, but couldn't find any whole nutmeg at the two local grocery stores I went to so I used ground. And you can't leave out the nutmeg because that's what really makes it. Well, that and the cheese. And the butter. And the eggs. And the spinach.

Cheese and Spinach Casserole

10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 c. melted butter
1 pt. cream-style small curd cottage cheese
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp nutmeg
croutons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 1 1/2 qt casserole. Mix all ingredients together. Place in baking dish. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Sprinkle croutons on top during last 10 minutes of baking time.


3 comments:

  1. Ooooooooooo looks yummy with lots of calories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But how do you put it in an oven if you don't have an oven? Or do you have one in your RoadTrek? We have an RT but there's no way an oven is going in there.

    I am enjoying your blog! Who knew you could full time in a RoadTrek??

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I do have a toaster oven in here so I can cook with a small pan. And yes, one (or two) can full time in a Class B. I know a few couples who do so, although I cannot imagine sharing the space with anyone. I don't even like myself all that much which is why I sleep a lot :) Just kidding, but it really would be a tight space for two, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete